A tactical vest is an article of gear worn over your regular clothing. It provides both a layer of protection, as well as the ability to store and carry items and equipment. A plate carrier vest is similar, but with added plates for extra protection.
Everyone from law enforcement and military personnel to strength athletes and fitness junkies recognizes the benefits and wears plate carrier vests.
In this article and video, we’ll focus on our TacTec™ Plate Carrier tactical vest. We designed it to be the most lightweight and best-fitting plate carrier on the market. You’ll find that it not only offers high-performance functionality but also is both lightweight and mobile, allowing ease of movement in any situation.
Your TacTec™ Plate carrier arrives fully assembled and ready to go. It can fit any body type and body size. However, you may need to make a few adjustments to get the best fit for you. Thanks to its adjustable shoulder straps and cummerbund, as well as former Navy SEAL Andy Stumpf’s expertise, you can make these modifications in minutes and be up and running in no time.
How to Adjust Your TacTec™ Plate Carrier Tactical Vest
- Take the vest completely apart with the quick-release handle by holding the back down and pulling the quick-release handle to full extension.
- Lift the front pouch which gives you access to the cummerbund.
- Lay the cummerbund open and work your way up to the adjustable shoulder straps.
- Pull those apart on both sides and fold it out of the way and lay to the side.
- You now have a disassembled vest featuring the front and back of the vest, as well as the cummerbund straps and the quick-release single-point pull, the key piece of the vest that holds everything together.
- Start with putting the quick release pull into the front of the vest on the inside along the top.
- Line up single-point release with Velcro.
- Route the cable through the first fabric loop and pull it out of the way.
- Grab back of the vest and lay it down.
- Start with one position at a time.
- Lay the fabric over the loops and route the cable in between the two.
- Pull cable through loops and under each piece of fabric.
- Continue to do this until you reach the top and route it through the Velcro-covered loop.
- On the back pad is a channel that you will push the cable through until it comes out the bottom side of the vest.
- Repeat for the opposite side of the vest.
- Ensure the measurements for each side are identical.
- Your adjustable shoulder straps are now complete and ready to go.
- The last step is adjusting the cummerbund.
- Both cables should now come out the bottom of the vest.
- Take cummerbund straps and line up on both sides so they are identical.
- Take cable over the top of the fabric and push it through the cummerbund’s loop.
- Continue to pull through each loop.
- Directly below the last two loops is a channelized hole in the Velcro.
- This will store the excess cable so that it is out of the way.
- Repeat for the opposite side.
- Close the flap over the cummerbund and secure it with the two tabs.
- You now have the perfect fit and are ready to rock.
Shop Now – 5.11 TacTec™ Plate Carrier Vest and Tactical Vests
When you’re ready to rock and roll, shop our TacTec™ Plate Carrier or explore our collection of tactical vests and plate carriers, including plate carrier extenders and side panels, so that from the battlefield to the gym, you can Always Be Ready®.