How to Assemble a MOLLE Backpack with Attachments
Heavy duty tactical backpacks can be confusing with so many pouches, straps, buckles and attachment options to operate, but the experts at 5.11 can show you how to properly assemble your pack so you're always prepared for duty.
First of all, MOLLE – which is pronounced like "Molly" and stands for Modular Lightweight Load-carrying Equipment – is a tactical accessory attachment system used to carry all your essential tools and on-the-go gear so you can ALWAYS BE READY® for what's ahead.
While all our tactical packs come pre-loaded with purpose-driven design features like adjustable straps and strategically placed inner pockets, you have the ability to add extra MOLLE pouches and attachments for your specific storage or duty needs.
Types of MOLLE Attachments
Used and trusted by the military, law enforcement, public safety professionals and outdoor enthusiasts, our MOLLE products are built to secure items to your pack's exterior while giving you the freedom to adjust and customize your pack system for maximum accessibility and function. As we like to say, when you think MOLLE, think adjustability.
5.11 Tactical MOLLE attachments include:
- Medical kits
- Badge holders and wallets
- Pen holders
- Flashlight holders
Firearm and Ammo Accessories
- Rifle sleeves
- Magazine pouches
- Handcuff pouches
- Glove pouches
- Baton holders
- General use pouches in a variety of sizes
How to Attach MOLLE Pouches to Your Pack
MOLLE systems utilize snaps and straps to weave accessories onto your base backpack.
- Take all the contents out of your backpack and the MOLLE pouch you're trying to attach to make the weaving process as easy as possible.
- Locate the pouch's slick stick – this is the strap of material you will use to weave the pouch into your backpack's webbing.
- Lead with the end of the slick stick that has the snap on it.
- Decide where you want to attach the pouch on your pack to determine which strap you need to start weaving with.
- With the slick stick snap facing out, push the end of the stick through the first strap on your pack that aligns with the placement you chose.
- Once through the backpack's first strap, weave the slick stick into the first strap on the back of the MOLLE pouch itself and pull it close to the pack.
- Repeat steps 4 and 5 as many time as necessary, based on the number of straps on the attachment.
- Once you've woven through all the straps on the attachment, snap the slick stick closed.
- Tug on the pouch to confirm a secure attachment.
- Replace the contents of your pack and newly secured pouch.
Tip: Depending on its size, your MOLLE pouch may have two slick sticks instead of one. In this case, repeat the above steps, working both sticks at the same time to ensure an even attachment – meaning, you should perform each step for both slick sticks before moving on to the next step.
Now, you know exactly how to assemble your custom MOLLE backpack with attachments that are purpose-driven to support your needs. Trust the pros at 5.11 Tactical, and you'll always be ready to carry your load when duty calls or your recreational activities require advanced tactical gear.